Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Diminishing Views

















I'm not quite done bashing winter yet.

While I enjoy the bluster and excitement of a storm like today's... I am also reminded that we are headed into the season of limited visibility. Without warning we can be thrust into a cave of snow as storms drop multiple feet of the cold white stuff on our homes. Just a few years ago we had snow so extreme that I literally couldn't see out of any of the windows in my home. Frantically, I tried using a broom to carve out a tunnel of vision. The broom was no match for the snow, so then I brought in the big guns and used my heavy duty steel shovel to unearth a view for myself. After a lot of digging, which included great quantities of snow ending up INSIDE my home... I opened up a tiny porthole into the outdoors. And then I could breathe again.

What is it about the feeling of being trapped inside with no view out? Is there a primal quality in some of us that forces us to keep the outdoors in view at all times?

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Unexpected Pause

Even in times of Covid, we find ways to keep ourselves busy. There are still problems to be solved, errands to run, social media to be viewe...