Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Staggering Weight of a Delicate Flower





















This beautiful orchid was recently given to me by two very thoughtful (and optimistic) friends. I am mesmerized by the colorful paper thin petals that evoke tropical birds in flight. The fragrant blooms remind me that the return of warm weather and flowers are not far away. I plan on sniffing the sweet scent as often as possible and hope to enjoy this lovely plant through winter and beyond. Except I know I will not. Because, this is not my first orchid. Or even my second. It may be my third or fourth, but I am choosing to forget exactly how many times in my life I have killed these tender beauties.

I remember my first orchid vividly. It was sent by an appreciative client and I was immediately smitten. I had never owned one before and was in awe of its unique, fragile beauty. The directions seemed simple enough that even I, a well known plant killer, could follow. Simply add "X" amount of water "X" times a week. How hard could that be?

Well, honestly, that would be more challenging for me than most people. While I have always taken great care of my children and dogs, plants are unfortunately linked directly to my self-care. When I am off the rails my needy, green friends shall go unwatered. Plants are expendable. Kids and pets are not. My roots growing in and hair two months past a cut? Haven't seen the gym in two weeks? You can be sure plants all around me are dropping dead.

Yet, here I am again, having been deemed a trustworthy guardian for this living miracle of nature. I would like to tell you that this time will be different. Because THIS orchid is an "Ice Cube Orchid" and all that is required of me is that I place three ice cubes in the pot once a week. But unfortunately so were orchids #2 and 3. Or was it #3 and 4? Either way, I apologize in advance to my generous friends, nature in general and most of all... to my hopelessly doomed orchid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Unexpected Pause

Even in times of Covid, we find ways to keep ourselves busy. There are still problems to be solved, errands to run, social media to be viewe...